The luxurious 5 star boutique hotel Three Storks is located in the quiet environment of the Mala Strana (Lesser Town) under the magnificent Prague Castle.
In its vicinity there are the most atractive and the most sought out monuments and restaurants in Prague. The hotel offers unique and original environment designed by AI DESIGN studio in cooperation with Eva Jiřičná Architects in London. The design of the hotel respects the history of the House at Three Storks and creates a perfect harmony of the preserved Renaissance interior and the modern appearance.
Valdštejnské náměstí 20/8
Prague 1, 118 00
GPS: 5050°5'21.96"N; 14°24'20.45"E
Phone: +420-257 210 779
Mobil:+420-724 177 334
Fax:+420-257 212 967
Metro: station Malostranská, trasa A
Tram: stop Malostranské nám link no. 12, 20, 22, 23, 57
The Hotel Three Storks is located at Valdštejnské náměstí, in the neighbourhood of the Valdštejn Palace. The first mentions of the history of the house, also known as the Altmann House or the House at Three Storks, appeared in the 14th century. At this period, the building housed the first St. Thomas monastery brewery founded by the Augustinian order.
Only a large Gothic cellar has been preserved from this time until our age. The building underwent an expansive Renaissance reconstruction in the first half of the 17th century. At that time, the house got its name At Three Storks based on the house sign with a relief of three storks.
The current design of the facade originates from a Classicist reconstruction that took place in 1794 and 1820. This reconstruction connected the original house with neighbouring buildings and gave the house its current shape. From that time comes also the facade with the house sign made of a stone plate and the gateway.
The period of the 1930's marks the beginning of the history of the renowned restaurant Valdštejnská vinárna that carries the name of a famous Czech noble family and that has been popular amongst a number of famous people.
The name of the house "At Three Storks" has a deeper meaning. Storks used to be considered the bearers of good news and house happiness. We firmly believe that your stay at this house will live up to the Latin qutation that used to be engraved above the house sign: Frustra mundus invidet, quando Deus providet. - "The world envies in vain, when God takes care".
The most representative hall of this palace, whose northern gateway faces the Prague Castle, is the Main Hall. The historical rooms of the palace are accessible to the public free of charge at the weekends. Next to the Main Hall, Valdštejn's representative parlours are located: the Knight Hall, the Antechambre, and the Audience Hall. In the opposite wing of the Valdštejn Palace, parallel to the Main Hall, two hallways are located: the Mythology Hallway and the Astrological Hallway one floor higher. Both hallways are richly decorated with frescoes and stucco decorations. The Mythology Hallway used to be connected by a staircase to spacious stables for as many as 40 horses. It is interesting that every horse housed in these stables would have its portrait above its box. Nowadays, the stables have become to house the Meeting Hall.
Albrecht Valdštejn had the complex of palaces built in 1623 in the place of the former Trčkovský palace, 26 other houses, three gardens and a brickworks. Renowned Italian architects, builders and artists participated in the construction. In 1648, the palace fell victim to the looting of the Swedish army that took all valuable objects including bronze sculptures of the emperor Rudolph II by Adrian de Vries and transported them to Sweden.
The palace belonged to the property of Valdštejn heirs until 1945. After that it became the property of the state that turned it into the seat of public service institutions. The palace has been the seat of the upper chamber of the Parliament of the Czech Republic, the Senat, since 1996.
The extensive reconstruction of Valdštejn Palace that took place in 2003 was awarded by Europa Nostra award.
One of the biggest attractions of the Valdštejn Palace is its garden with a small sala terrena. The sala terrena is an open construction resting on three large pillars. Its hight was unsurpassed at the time of its creation. Another interesting place of the garden is a dripstone wall with an aviary inhabited by two pairs of horned owls. The other end of the garden is enclosed by a large building of the riding school. Valdštejn had a pool with the sculpture of Hercules built in front of it.
Some of the hotel rooms offer a splendid view of the Prague Castle, which is by far the most significant cultural and historical monument not only of Prague but also the entire Czech Republic. Visitors can find here a number of sights that have witnessed the history of the Czech statehood. The most important sights include: St. Vitus Cathedral, Old Royal Palace, St. George Basilica, the Golden Lane, Summer Royal Palac and many more. The construction of the Prague Castle was started at the end of the 9th century by Prince Bořivoj of the Přemyslid dynasty.
Not far from the hotel you will find Malostranské square with St Nicholas Church - an important Baroque construction with a cupola and a richly decorated interior. W.A. Mozart played the organ in this church during his stay in Prague.
In the near vicinity of Valdštejnské náměstí you will find the Palace Gardens under the Prague Castle - the Kolowrat Garden, the Great and Small Palffy Garden, the Ledebour Garden, and the Small Furstenberg Garden.
The recently re-opened Gardens under the Prague Castle offer their visitors a peaceful oasis full of dignity. They are also used for various cultural and social events as concerts, garden parties, fashion shows and many other. The galeries of the Ledebour Garden are used to exhibit various pieces of art.